UFC Fighter being sought out by Albuquerque Police Dept

UFC Fighter Jon Jones is being sought for questioning in a hit-and-run car accident, an Albuquerque Police Department spokesman told US Elite Combat on Sunday.


A pregnant female in her 20s was taken to a hospital and treated for minor injuries. She was the driver of a separate vehicle.

According to the statement, officers unsuccessfully attempted to contact Jones at his home on Sunday evening. Efforts to reach the fighter through his lawyer also failed.

Jones is scheduled to defend his title against Anthony Johnson in the main event of UFC 187 on May 23 at MGM Grand. Despite multiple internet reports claiming the fight had been canceled, UFC officials have not made an announcement as of Sunday evening.

The UFC issued a statement acknowledging the situation on Sunday night.

“We are aware that the Albuquerque Police Department is interested in speaking to Jon Jones regarding his possible involvement in a motor vehicle accident,” the statement read. “We are in the process of gathering facts and will reserve further comment until more information is available.”

UFC Fighter Jones, 27, lives and trains in Albuquerque at Jackson-Winkeljohn MMA He is widely considered the top mixed martial artist in the world.

He has held the belt since 2011, though his title reign has not been free of controversy.

UFC Fighter Jones pleaded guilty to driving under the influence after crashing his Bentley into a telephone poll in Binghamton, N.Y. in 2012. He was fined $1,000 and had his license suspended for six months.

He tested positive for cocaine in December 2014 when a test for the drug was mistakenly conducted by the Nevada Athletic Commission. Cocaine is not banned under the World Anti-Doping Agency code for athletes who are not in competition, so he avoided punishment from the NAC and was allowed to fight in January.

Fighter Jones was fined $25,000 by the UFC for violating the organization’s code of conduct. He entered a rehabilitation facility, though he reportedly left after one night.